Friday, May 20, 2005

The Airport: An Untapped Dating Resource

Well yesterday, I parked my ass at the Pittsburgh airport for 5 hours while my flight was delayed so they could change a bad tire. Apparently, you can't just run to the local K-Mart and pick up an airplane tire, go figure. Oh well, since I am all for airline safety, I tried to make the best of it and spent a good bit of my time doing one of my favorite things, people watching.

Has anyone notice that there a ton of hot looking people at the airport. Evidently, good looking people like to fly on airplanes. And not only were there hot looking women, but being fairly confident in my own sexuality, I will go as far to say that there were good looking men as well. I am starting to think this my be an uptapped dating resource.

Screw on-line dating; how does this sound. Once every few months, you purchase a fully refundable airline ticket on your credit card for an evening flight. Then you ditch the day off from work (hell you could even do it on a weekend) and hit the airport at around 7:30 am when the morning rush starts. Get yourself a boarding pass from the airline, go through security and bam you are in the worlds biggest singles bar. You can just wander from gate to gate looking for potential dates. There are flights coming and going all the time so that increases the variety. If they are well dressed and flying, you can generally assume they probably have a job. You have to guess that 50% of the people flying out are from where you live. And since you know where their flight is going, you have an instant in for at least an initial conversation. On top of that there are coffee shops, restaurants and bars if things go well. After a day of trolling the airport, you can just cancel your flight with the airline and get your money refunded to the credit card at no major expense to you.

I'm thinking that this could work equally as well for men and women. You could do it alone or in groups too. Airport security even adds an added safety layer that doesn't exist in most places you look for dates. Someone please put my theory to test and let me know how it works.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrot's dating service, what will you think of next you witty bastard?

Aeris said...

Actually I have to agree with this, there ARE lots of good looking people, at ANY airport, really. We got this international airport here and we have these business men and business women (or just people in suits, whatever) and people returning from vacations all tanned - and even airport services, like security - WOW! This last time I pretended to be lost just to talk to the incredibly good-looking security guy (sshh don't tell anyone). So ah, the above in just two words: I concur!

-E said...

I think I would rather be a hermit and play with my puppies than go through the effort just to be able to get into the airport if I am not really going anywhere. But you go ahead and go for it.

TheMommason said...

What a hoot!

My Life Is God's Comic Strip said...

Hilarious. I've noticed the attractiveness of travelers, which is why I'm always dressed well at an airport, no matter how long the flight. Hey, you never know!!!

Annie said...

And, at least at the Pittsburgh airport, you can do your shopping between pick-ups. (For anyone who hasn't been there - they have a whole freaking mall in the airport.)

It's a good theory - maybe I should suggest it to my single sibs.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, next time I fly, you can guarantee I'll try picking up some hotness :-P