Friday, May 27, 2005

What Bullshit!

Yesterday, I make the decision that this is probably a good opportunity to go and get a hair cut over the lunch hour. This decision was initiated by the fact that "Hot Compliance Girl" took a look at my hair and then made a funny face in coffee station. When I went to the bathroom I noticed that the humidity was starting to make my hair look like a "Freddie Boom Boom Washington" Afro. Hence, it was time.

Well I make quick call to the barber I have been going to forever to see if my main man Serge is available. Before you get a mental image of Bronson Pinchot's swishy Serge character from Beverly Hills Cop, let me quickly dispel that one. (Side note: I had to do a Google search for "Perfect Strangers" to jog my memory on Pinchot's name and boy are there a ton of losers still out there worshiping that piece of shit television show.) Serge is a huge Russian guy that reeks of cheap cologne and organized crime. He's a man's barber that still uses hot shave cream and a straight razor to shave your neck. Damn, he gave a great haircut.

Anyway, some jackass on the phone tells me that Serge quit working there 8 weeks ago. My first thought is I can't believe it's been 8 weeks since my last haircut. No wonder my hair is starting to resemble a Q-Tip. Then I think, what is this bullshit? This guy has been pretty much the only person to cut my hair for 8 years and I don't get a courtesy call to let me know he's leaving and where he will be cutting hair next. Apparently, at a barber you don't get that touchy feely service like you do from a stylist. When a stylist leaves a salon she contacts everyone, steals as many current customers as she can from her current salon, and takes them with her to the new salon across town where she's working. Well maybe I'm being a bit selfish here. Possibly, Serge left for a more lucrative career elsewhere and there wasn't an opportunity to do those courtesy calls.

That said, I had to go to another Barber Shop yesterday where some boob named Tom cut my hair and it cost 25% more than the old place. I'm still so out of kilter from the whole ordeal that I haven't really checked out the work he did. You don't really know how it looks until after the first wash. Regardless, I can already tell it's not as good. And I think he used a disposable Bic to shave the back of my neck. I may need to continue my search for a new place to go.

No comments: