Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Secret Lover Greeting Cards?

I was listening to Eric and Cathy on www.wtmx.com on the hellacious drive this morning (see previous post) and they were having a hilarious conversation about a new line of greeting cards coming out. Apparently, some greeting card designer feels that the cheating lover demographic is a untapped market for greeting cards. So, they've come up with a line of cards called Secret Lover" greeting cards. This is a line of cards that people who are in a extramarital affair can give to their mistress or mister (is that was you call them?) for special occasions. Is there really a need for these? I would think that cheaters would be trying to limit the paper trail as much as possible. And who in their right mind would saunter up to the counter at the Hallmark store and buy one?

A caller who suggested that they should have "Friend with privileges" thank you cards also got me thinking. [Aside question: Where the fuck were these friends with privileges when I was growing up? That would have been a really nice deal.] Maybe there are other untapped greeting card markets out there. How about for homosexuals? I'm betting a "We are all happy you finally faced reality and came out of the closet!" card would be a big hit. Or along the lines of the Secret Lover card, I think a "You're a cheating bitch/asshole and we're getting a divorce!" card could be a great way to let that special someone know how you feel. Or for the pet lovers out there how about "If you get another fucking cat, people are going to start thinking you're nuts!" card. Let me know if you can think of any others.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your suggestions! You should switch to "Card Creator" after "Master Blog Maker"!

Jenn said...

The funniest one I ever heard was a potential card that on the front said: "Congratulations on your new baby!" You open it up and it says: "Did you ever find out who the daddy is?"
Tell me that's not a classic. ;)

Anonymous said...

you are too funny. probably my favorite randome blog. And I too am a married guy with two kids and I have a tat on my ankle.

You are right, when I was single, there were none of these friends with privileges. Never noticed I missed those as much as I do now that everyone seems to have thme

Anonymous said...

If only card writers were clever I wouldn't have to badly draw my own snarky cards for every one. I'll take three coming out cards and one STD, because I'd just like to see his face.

Saturn said...

Oh, there are loads of homo cards already, that market has been well tapped.